Like most health issues, when our brains function well we take them for granted.
As it turns out the way our brains work is rather mysterious. The fact that they function as well as they do is truly amazing. For instance, did you know:
- You have 100 billion (100,000,000,000) neurons in your brain.
- Synapses are the connections between neurons. You have between 100 trillion and 500 trillion synapses. Let’s call it around 300 trillion. Written in numbers, that is 300,000,000,000,000.
- You have twice the number of glial cells than neurons in your brain. These cells have an important role in brain function. They do everything from providing structural support to protecting the neurons.
- There are different types of memory, each processed differently by the brain. For example, you store short-term memories differently than you store long-term memories.
- So far, nobody really knows what intelligence is. At best we can describe it based on the kind of information being processed. These types of intelligence include I.Q. (mental intelligence), E.Q. (emotional intelligence), P.Q. (physical intelligence), etc.
- You have 5 major lobes of your brain that handle various brain functions. The largest of these is the the frontal lobe that controls speech, thought, consciousness, and voluntary movements.
- Humans have the largest brain to body weight ratio on earth.
- Your brain has 100,000 miles of blood vessels.
- Between 60% and 75% of your brain is made of fat.
But perhaps the most important fact about your brain… is that it’s yours. You can’t survive without it. And your quality of life is based on how well it works.
So how can you make sure it’s working well? Here is a short list of best practices for brain health.
- Eat Well. That means eating the right ratios of fat, protein and carbs. That is called your “macronutrient ratio.”
Most people don’t get enough protein and fat. How much is enough? It depends. Your Metabolic Type determines how much is right for you. You can experiment and see what amount gives you more energy and better focus. Here are instructions on how to get the right macronutrient ratios.
- Get Enough Sleep. Like your muscles, your brain works best if you take breaks from exercising it. Sleep gives you that break.
- Stop Doing Things That Damage Your Brain. Drugs, alcohol, and lack of exercise all reduce your brain’s efficiency.
- Take Brain Supporting Supplements. There are many. The link takes you to a list of the best ones. I would add to that list Phosphatidylserine.
All the best to you for your health and happiness,