“Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.” ~ Hippocrates
A few weeks ago you read about the problems with antidepressants. There were a lot.
If you missed the article, you can find it here: The Depressing News About Antidepressants.
That article also mentioned things you can do on your own to combat this awful problem. As a reminder, they were:
- Eliminating processed foods from your diet (95% of serotonin is in the gut)
- Eat enough protein
- Take fish oil
- Take 5-HTP
- Get enough sleep
But what if everything you do doesn’t make a difference? What then?
12 million people have been officially diagnosed. But I suspect the number is much higher.
Depression can come from many underlying causes. It’s hard to sort them out on your own. Consider the following contributing factors that may accompany depression:
- Thyroid Problems. You can’t just test for TSH. To find the deeper cause requires testing 6 different aspects of your thyroid.
- Adrenal Fatigue. The adrenals influence many parts of your health. Mental and emotional states are part of this. Anything that causes stress can lead to this. These include deadlines, family problems, worries, etc. Over time these overwhelm your body and can lead to depression. There are natural ways to test for this problem and correct it.
- Nutrient Deficiencies. If you aren’t eating well or if you don’t digest well, your body doesn’t get what it needs. This can lead to depression. You can find out how well you are eating for your body’s unique needs with Metabolic TypingÃ‚Â®. And there are tests to determine if your digestion is functioning well enough.
- Toxicity. Aside from exposure to outside toxins, your body’s ability to remove them can lead to depression. It is another form of stress.
- Brain Chemistry Problems. There are important brain chemicals that control mood and energy. If these are out of whack, you might get depression. But using pharmaceutical drugs doesn’t fix the issue. They only mask it. And, as you saw in the article linked above, they can cause other serious problems. But there are ways to naturally correct these imbalances once you know what they are.
As you can see, getting to the root of depression isn’t always simple. But if you work with someone who uses functional medicine approaches, you have an excellent chance of beating depression naturally.
All the best to you for your health and happiness,