Osteoporosis is a condition where bones become weak and brittle. This most often happens as people age. But it can also happen other times. Here are some facts about osteoporosis that you may not know:
- Even young, healthy men can get osteoporosis. For example it can happen with male astronauts. Being away from earth’s gravity for extended periods is the cause. Unless they do exercises that duplicate the effect of gravity, their bones become brittle. Lack of regular, weight-bearing exercise can lead to brittle bones in women and men.
- No amount of calcium will fix this without exercise. In one experiment, the bone mass of chickens fed calcium doubled. But this only happened in the group that also had their wings gently twisted each day. Bones are like muscles in that both need exercise to remain strong.
- The typical modern diet has high levels of processed foods and sugars. These prevent people from eating enough healthy natural foods to nourish their bodies. This affects the health of their bones. Also, highly processed foods can remove minerals and other building blocks from your body, thus aggravating the loss.
- Foods often presented as ‘health food,’ such as corn, wheat and soy, are actually full of phytates. Phytates in food act like anti-nutrients by blocking the absorption of other nutrients such as calcium. This problem can be reduced by soaking grains overnight before preparing them. Soy must be fermented to avoid this problem.
- Steroid drug use (cortisone, etc.) can lead to weak bones.
- Drugs used to ‘treat’ osteoporosis (Fosamax, Boniva, etc.) are made from industrial waste products. They work by killing the part of the bone that breaks down old bone tissue. Unfortunately, over time this also suppresses the part of the bone that makes new bone and can lead to more brittle bones.
- Although broken bones aren’t usually fatal in young people, in older people a broken hip can sometimes be fatal. This is usually because of secondary problems that develop after the break. My father-in-law died from these complications.
All the best to you for your health and happiness,